Sunday, August 02, 2009

Friendship Day

Its been a growing trend every year to have days commemorating your relationships. Friendship Day is just another instance. The first Sunday of August is supposed to be the worldwide "friendship day". Now the question is do we really need a day specially earmarked for friends. Aren't they supposed to be the ones in your thoughts all the time.
A friend in need is a friend indeed. This has been an oft repeated quote. But yes it is true. You realise the true value of your friends when you are all alone and the world seems to have become a total disaster. So this friendship day I decided to write about such an instance in my life.
The year was 2002. The month of November. The 3rd semester engineering results were just out and well my name was missing from the list along with a couple of others. The reason was not too hard to fathom. I had got a supplementary in one of the papers. Well, these are times when you wish the earth to open up and swallow you or that the time just moved forward or backward so you could avoid this situation. That evening I simply walked back to my hostel room all alone, though there were words of sympathy from the rest of the people but I barely heard any of them. To be honest that was the most depressed I had ever felt in my four years of stay at ISM. The night passed somehow. The next day it did seem that some people were avoiding me. I realised later that I might have done the same, it was because nobody knew what exactly to say. As the day progressed a couple of seniors came to my room and asked me about participating in a quiz at the techfest in a neighbouring college. I wasn't really keen on going anywhere but that precise time another person came to me and almost literally forced me to go along. The teammates were also found and a couple of others also accompanied us to Sindri for the quiz. The result a second place in the science quiz. And when we went back to hostel late that night many of the batchmates came over to congratulate us. I dont think there could have been any better mood-lifter than this. And a more memorable day than this.
And all this could happen because of the friends who were there for me when I needed someone around me the most. I am not sure if I have ever thanked you guys for this. Ajit (Pahar), Gaurav (Dharmaa) & Salesh (Commander)... Thanks a lot for that day.

No comments: