Movie - Man of Steel
*ing - Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Russel Crowe, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane & Others
Director - Zack Snyder
Language - English
Confession - Haven't watched any of the Superman movies before. And not a big comic book fan either.
However the interest level in watching the resurrection of the Superman series was quite high. Mainly due to Christopher Nolan being attached to it. The trailers looked promising. Nolan's touch along with Hans Zimmer's music prophesised a Superman struggling with his own identity, a darker villain and a good background story with big name actors playing the minor characters.
Superman and his Kryptonian origins are explained. He is yet to become the hero known world over but taking his baby steps towards becoming one. Also a titanic clash to save the world and establish his superhero credentials (for the forthcoming movies).
The High Notes
- Best Scene - When Superman goes on his first flight. Full-on Goosebumps
- Performance of the film - by the two fathers of Superman - Crowe & Costner, incidentally both also known for playing Robin Hood.
- A villain whose intentions are not necessarily wrong. General Zod was trying to save his race.
- The back-story of Krypton. Probably won't be mentioned ever again.
- The climax battle between Superman & Zod.
- The Easter Eggs hinting at Lexcorp & Wayne Enterprises for forthcoming movies.
The Not High Notes
- The conclusion of the climax battle. If it was this simple, why was hell wrecked on Metropolis. Probably a million died in this battle to "save" Earth.
- The portrayal of Lois Lane.
- The Superman Character Destruction - The S does not stand for Superman; he doesn't wear his underwear outside any more; Lois Lane knows Superman's real identity before he joins Daily Planet. The true comic book fans must be seething on seeing all this.
- Superman finding a ready-made suit for his world-saving role.
- There is nothing worth remembering in the movie. No memorable dialogues, action sequence etc.
The Random Notes
- The Superman Pose - After you become "Super", you need to stand straight, hold your arms into your body and then (most important) look towards your side with the head slightly bent and wearing a serene smile
- Henry Cavill finally breaks his unlucky jinx and gets to play a major role.
- The term "Superman" is hardly used throughout the film.
Rating - 7/10; Overall the movie left me a bit underwhelmed. Mainly due to the higher (almost unrealistic) expectations set by the The Dark Knight Tilogy.
Previously on MovieNotes - Zalzala